Zoom H4n Pro Overview
Record up to four tracks of full-resolution audio in the palm of your hand with the Zoom H4n Pro, a portable handheld recorder with an onboard stereo microphone capsule and versatile 2-channel inputs for music and location recording, podcasting, and journalism indoors or outside. Like other H-Series Handy recorders such as the H5 and H6, you can hold it in your hand, attach it to a mic stand or tripod, or mount it to a camera (shoe mount available separately). The H4n Pro packs a surprising array of features into a rugged, rubberized body that’s more than ready to meet the varied demands of songwriters, musicians, filmmakers, sound designers, content creators, and more.
From plentiful battery life to powerful audio processing functions, the H4n Pro is well equipped to handle anything from tracking live performances and demos to recording sound effects, interviews, and meetings. It can supply phantom or plug-in power for condenser mics, or accept direct connections from instruments such as a guitar, bass, or keyboard. No matter the source, selectable auto-recording and pre-recording ensure that you’ll never miss the start of a take.
- Onboard Adjustable Stereo Microphone
- Leave your external mics at home and travel light. The H4n Pro is outfitted with an onboard stereo microphone that provides clear, phase-accurate capture in two different X/Y positions—90° for a tight stereo image or 120° for a wider perspective. Just twist the capsules to their premarked positions to switch between the two configurations. With nothing more than the H4n Pro, you’re set to record speech, practice sessions, concerts, or ambient and environmental sounds, even ear-rattling thunder up to 140 dB.
- 2-Channel Microphone/Line/Instrument Inputs
- Equipped with two locking XLR-1/4″ combo inputs and a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack input, the H4n Pro can accommodate condenser microphones, line-level sources, or unbalanced instrument-level signals. Turn on 24 or 48 VDC phantom power to the XLR jacks, or 2.5V plug-in power to the mini jack. Whether you plan on plugging in a guitar and your favorite studio condenser mic to record a singer-songwriter or feel like hooking up a lavalier mic for an interview, the H4n Pro’s preamps (identical to those found in the H5 and H6) are ready to deliver low-noise (-120 dBu EIN) performance.
If you happen to setup external microphones in a mid-side configuration, the integrated MS decoder allows adjustment to the perceived width of the stereo image, which is beneficial for sound design, broadcasting, or general stereo-to-mono compatibility.
- Record up to 4 Channels Live or Overdub Layers
- The H4n Pro boasts multiple recording modes, and is capable of up to 24-bit / 96 kHz resolution. Record in stereo from the onboard mic or input jacks, or use 4CH Mode to simultaneously record the onboard mic (or 3.5mm mic input) and two external sources via the XLR-1/4″ jacks (great for getting the room sound and a stereo feed from a mixer). Alternatively, switch to MTR mode to utilize the H4n Pro as a 4-track studio complete with overdubbing, punch recording, and built-in effects. The H4n Pro’s internal mixdown function lets you adjust levels and pans as you blend four tracks down to stereo.
- SD-Card Recording and Audio Interface Functionality
- Maximize portability by recording directly to an SD card (up to 2GB capacity) or SDHC card (up to 32GB capacity). A 4GB SDHC card yields approximately 380 minutes of 16-bit / 44.1 kHz stereo recording time using the BWF-compliant WAV format for uncompressed audio quality and industry-standard file compatibility. Note that media cards are available separately, and larger capacity cards may increase startup times.
Alternatively, use the H4n Pro as a 2-in/2-out USB 2.0 audio interface at up to 48 kHz. At 44.1 kHz, you’ll have the option to use the built-in effects on input signals. The USB port also enables fast file transfer and firmware updates.
- 3.5mm Output to Connect to a Camera or Headphones
- The 3.5mm line/headphone mini-jack output features a dedicated volume control, making it capable of feeding your camera/DSLR or a pair of headphones. For quick playback reference, a built-in monophonic speaker is provided.
- Powered via AA Batteries or AC Adapter
- Power the H4n Pro with the two included AA batteries, or plug it into a wall outlet with an AD-14 AC adapter (available separately). Alkaline batteries can keep the H4n Pro running for up to 10 hours in Stamina mode (built-in mics, 16-bit / 44.1 kHz, no headphones), while NiMH batteries extend recording time a bit further.
- Rugged and Portable, Handheld or Mounted
- The rubberized, ergonomic body lends itself naturally to handheld use. Should you need to mount it on a mic stand or tripod, a threaded hole on the back of the H4n Pro obviates the need for stand adapters. Obtain a hot shoe adapter (available separately) to attach the H4n Pro directly to a DSLR.
- Extensive Audio Processing
- The H4n Pro offers studio-grade effects and emulators to enhance your recordings. Choose from a variety of effects such as compression, limiting, reverb, delay, echo, modulation, a low-cut filter, and more. Normalize files for maximum gain, split them into smaller chunks, and insert up to 99 marks per recording.
There’s an onboard metronome and tuner, along with dozens of amp models and effects crafted for guitar and bass. Additionally, you can loop playback and adjust pitch and speed independently, making the H4n Pro an ideal tool for phrase training.
- Special Recording Functions
- Stereo and 4CH modes offers selectable recording functions designed to prevent you from accidentally missing the start of a performance. By keeping the previous two seconds (one second at 96 kHz sample rate) of audio whenever you press the record button, the prerecord option ensures that you’ll never cut off the beginning of a great take. Auto-record can automatically start recording when a user-set sound level is detected, making it great for voice-activated recording.
- Supports External Remote Control
- Use the RC4 remote (available separately) to control the H4n Pro. It allows you to start and stop recording, fast forward and rewind through your files, switch the input source, and set recording/playback levels at a distance while eliminating handling noise.
- Highly Visible Display
- Day or night, view vital information such as audio levels, recording time, battery status, and more on the 1.9″ monochrome backlit LCD. Transport controls, menu navigation buttons, track and input select buttons are presented nearby for access to all the H4n Pro’s operations and functions.
- Includes Audio Software
- The H4n Pro comes with free download licenses for Steinberg’s Cubase LE music production software and WaveLab LE audio editing software, representing a complete audio production toolkit.