ZEISS Milvus 85mm f/1.4 ZF.2 Overview
A prime portrait-length lens characterized by its complex Planar construction, the Nikon F-mount Milvus 85mm f/1.4 ZF.2 from ZEISS features a fast maximum aperture along with a unique spherical design to produce especially smooth bokeh for selective focus applications. The Planar design incorporates seven anomalous partial dispersion glass elements to nearly eliminate chromatic aberrations and other distortions for clean, well-corrected imagery. A floating elements system is used, too, for consistent performance throughout the focusing range, in order to achieve even sharpness and clarity. An enhanced ZEISS T* anti-reflective coating has also been applied to significantly reduce ghosting and lens flare for improved contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions.
The manual focus design is complemented by a rubberized focus ring for fine-tuned, precise control over your focus position. Additionally, Milvus-series lenses also feature an equally aesthetic and durable frosted, anodized metal lens-barrel surface along with a weather-sealed construction to protect against dust and moisture.
- Short telephoto prime is designed for FX-format Nikon F-mount cameras, however can also be used with DX models where it provides a 127.5mm equivalent focal length.
- Impressively bright f/1.4 maximum aperture is well-suited for working in low-light conditions and also provides greater control over the focus position when using shallow depth of field techniques.
- Planar optical design affords high sharpness and consistent performance throughout the focusing range to suit photographing at a wide range of imaging scales.
- Seven anomalous partial dispersion elements are used to significantly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations for increased clarity and color fidelity.
- Unique spherical design produces an especially smooth quality of bokeh to benefit portraiture and selective focus applications.
- ZEISS T* anti-reflective coating has been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections and provide greater contrast and color fidelity.
- Floating elements system helps to maintain consistent image quality throughout the entire focusing range, from 2.6′ to infinity.
- Manual focus design is benefitted by focusing and depth of field scales along with hard stops at both infinity and minimum focusing positions.
- Manual aperture ring has clicked indicators throughout aperture range. Using the included De-Click Tool, this ring can be mechanically ‘de-clicked’ for smooth, silent rotation throughout the aperture range; making it ideal for video applications.
- Weather-resistant construction includes internal seals to guard against dust and moisture as well as a blue sealing ring at the lens mount to protect the lens-camera interface.
- All-metal lens barrel has a frosted, anodized surface along with a rubberized focusing ring for both durability and improved tactile control.