ZEISS Milvus 50mm f/1.4 ZF.2 Overview
Pairing the normal focal length with a complex Distagon optical concept, the Nikon F-mount ZEISS Milvus 50mm f/1.4 ZF.2 is also characterized by its fast f/1.4 maximum aperture to provide a well-realized combination of sharpness, clarity, and shooting flexibility. The optical design incorporates four anomalous partial dispersion elements and one aspherical element to reduce chromatic aberrations and distortions for notable clarity and sharpness throughout the aperture range. A floating elements system is also employed for consistent performance when working with both near and distance subjects. An enhanced ZEISS T* anti-reflective coating has also been applied to significantly reduce ghosting and lens flare for improved contrast and color fidelity when working in difficult lighting conditions.
The manual focus design is complemented by a rubberized focus ring for fine-tuned, precise control over your focus position. Additionally, Milvus-series lenses also feature an equally aesthetic and durable frosted, anodized metal lens-barrel surface along with a weather-sealed construction to protect against dust and moisture.
- Normal-length prime is designed for FX-format Nikon F-mount cameras, however can also be used with DX models where it provides a 75mm equivalent focal length.
- Impressively bright f/1.4 maximum aperture is well-suited for working in low-light conditions and also provides greater control over the focus position when using shallow depth of field techniques.
- Distagon optical concept affords high sharpness, well-corrected image quality from edge-to-edge, and very low field curvature.
- Four anomalous partial dispersion elements are used to significantly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations for increased clarity and color fidelity.
- One aspherical element controls distortion and spherical aberrations in order to produce greater sharpness and more accurate rendering.
- ZEISS T* anti-reflective coating has been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections and provide greater contrast and color fidelity.
- Floating elements system helps to maintain consistent image quality throughout the entire focusing range, from 1.5′ to infinity.
- Manual focus design is benefitted by focusing and depth of field scales along with hard stops at both infinity and minimum focusing positions.
- Manual aperture ring has clicked indicators throughout aperture range. Using the included De-Click Tool, this ring can be mechanically ‘de-clicked’ for smooth, silent rotation throughout the aperture range; making it ideal for video applications.
- Weather-resistant construction includes internal seals to guard against dust and moisture as well as a blue sealing ring at the lens mount to protect the lens-camera interface.
- All-metal lens barrel has a frosted, anodized surface along with a rubberized focusing ring for both durability and improved tactile control.