Sony PVM-A170 Overview
The Sony PVMA170 17″ Professional OLED Production Monitor is suitable for both field and studio use. It features a 16.5″ diagonal OLED panel with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080. Because of the OLED technology employed, each pixel can be switched completely off–unlike typical LCD displays–for a much closer approximation of true black. It can be connected to standard and high-definition video sources via SDI or HDMI, as well as analog standard-definition sources through composite.
The PVMA170 features two SDI inputs with a loop-through out that support 3G-SDI, HD-SDI, and SD-SDI signals at resolutions up to 1080p60. In addition, 24 fps is supported, including 23.98p, 23.98PsF, 24p native, and 24PsF. It features an HDMI input that supports 1080p60, 24p, 23.98p, standard definition, and several computer resolutions. A composite input with loop-through output provides connectivity for standard-definition analog devices, and is paired with a 3.5mm stereo mini jack audio input. A front panel 3.5mm headphone jack allows users to monitor embedded audio locally, and there is also a 1W built-in speaker.
Two Ethernet ports provide connectivity for serial and parallel remotes. Many third-party options can be used, as well as the separately-sold Sony BKM-15R and BKM-16R. The monitor includes a removable desktop stand, and is compatible with standard VESA 100 x 100mm mounting hardware.
In addition to taking 100 to 240 VAC power, the PVMA170 features a 4-pin XLR DC input. This allows it to be field-powered using a 12 VDC source, such as a professional video battery system.
- Accurate Black Reproduction
- Unlike many alternative display technologies, the OLED panel used in the PVMA170 features the ability to turn each pixel completely off, so no luminance signal is added to parts of the image recorded as black
- Super Top Emission Technology
- Designed to provide a wide color gamut with accurate color reproduction throughout the luminance range of the picture
- Faster Response Time than LCD Panels
- The gray-to-gray switching of the PVMA170 is faster than comparable LCD-based displays. This helps eliminate ghosting, motion blur (that is not naturally part of the scene), and other artifacts that reduce image quality
- Wide Angle of View
- Provides better off-axis viewing than many LCD-based alternatives, allowing users to accurately evaluate the image even if positioned off to the side. It features an 89° viewing angle in all directions, while the contrast ratio remains above 10:1.
- Low-Latency Image Processing
- The PVMA170’s I/P conversion system delivers automatically optimized signal processing per the input signal format, with a latency of less than 0.5 fields. This helps ensure fast-moving images stay in sync with the audio
On-Screen Display (OSD):
- Waveform Monitor and Vectorscope
- Provides a built-in waveform and vectorscope display so users do not have to rely on dedicated equipment. Both displays can be magnified from 0 to 20% for detailed analysis, and within the waveform display the Line Select feature allows for a specific portion of the image to be isolated. Level meters for two channels of embedded audio may also be displayed alongside the waveform or vectorscope
- Focus Assist with Color Peaking
- To aid camera focus operation, an aperture level adjustment displays images with sharpened edges (peaking) displayed in user-selectable colors (white, red, green, blue, or yellow), for increased visibility
- Audio Level Indicator
- Embedded audio levels can be displayed as stereo pairs or individual mono channels. Up to 16 channels can be selected at once
- Closed Captions
- OSD can display EIA 608 and EIA 708 captions
- Additional Displays
- Additional OSD features include a tally overlay, video format overlay, and an on-screen menu system
- Emphasis on Portability
- The PVMA170 is 40% slimmer than the previous generation and weighs in at 9.3 lb. In addition, a detachable handle simplifies transport
- Recessed Connector Panel
- The connectors do not protrude from the back of the monitor, helping ensure they will not be damaged during transport or if the monitor is laid flat