Sony MCX-500 Overview
Sony’s MCX-500 4-Input Production Streaming/Recording Switcher is much more than just a portable four-input switcher. It is a global system that supports both 60 and 50 Hz production formats, so you can work with it virtually anywhere in the world. Four 3G-SDI inputs, two HDMI, and two composite (CVBS) inputs each feature a discrete frame synchronizer, allowing you to mix input sources. The unit internally processes the input footage at 1080i.
The MCX-500 combines a manual control surface with a touchscreen LCD that you can control locally or from a networked device. As you would expect from a professional mixer, cut, mix, wipe, and key effects are built into the unit. In addition to the program and multiview preview outputs, the switcher can also live stream to services such as Ustream via Ethernet, without requiring additional hardware. Likewise, the MCX-500 can record the program stream to an SD card, which is not included, via the built-in SD card slot. Beyond just the video switching capabilities, it is also a 5-channel audio mixer. You can control the switcher remotely via Mac, PC, or a tablet.
- Firmware 2.0 Update:
- Facebook Live/YouTube Live support added
- Stream to any private server; for example, schools and houses of worship
- 1080p 60/50 input/output and XAVC S/AVCHD 1080p 60/50 recording
- Change the names on the multiview
- Border for PnP
- Manual transition fader (touch panel)
- Logo function activated
- Eight Video Inputs and One Title Input:
- The MCX-500 features no less than eight video inputs (plus dedicated Title input) to easily accommodate small to medium-sized productions. Inputs include four 3G-SDI, two HDMI, and two composite video inputs, allowing you to connect a wide variety of cameras and other equipment.
- Multiview Monitoring:
- Monitoring on the multiview output always displays the four selected inputs. It will also display the program and preview output on your monitor’s screen in addition to the four inputs.
- Configurable LCD Touchscreen:
- Tune your exact workflow requirements and map the LCD touchscreen control with ICON buttons, allowing you to trigger effects you’ve predefined with a single touch.
- Titles and Effects:
- The MCX-500 allows you to easily create advanced video effects such as chroma key, transitions, and PiP (Picture-in-Picture).
- Streaming Content:
- The MCX-500 allows you to live mix the output of multiple sources with direct streaming in real time using services such as Ustream.
- Global Video Switcher:
- The switcher allows you to switch, output, and record a variety of HD standards depending. You can record AVCHD Full HD 1920 x 1080i/p 60/50, or 1440 x 1080i/p 60/50 to SD cards (not included), via the built-in SD card slot.
- The MCX-500 supports sending tally signals to connected compatible camcorders. The tally indicator appears on each camcorder’s LCD panel and Electronic Viewfinder. A red icon indicates when the shot is live (PGM), while green indicates preview (NEXT).