Atomos Ninja V Overview
The Atomos Ninja V 5″ 4K HDMI Recording Monitor is a 5″ on-camera monitor/recorder that records and plays back DCI 4K, UHD 4K, and HD video from purpose-built mini-SSDs. It features a 10-bit FRC IPS screen with a brightness of 1000 cd/m², which makes it suitable for use in both exterior and interior conditions. The AtomHDR display technology allows you to accurately monitor your log gamma footage without having to view flat, washed-out looking images or use a LUT to compress the dynamic range and color space. The monitor supports popular log formats from Sony, Canon, Panasonic, ARRI, RED, and JVC cameras. The settings only affect viewing, with recorded video remaining unaltered.
Built to withstand the rigors of production, the Ninja V features an aluminum chassis and powers from a single L-series battery. Additional features include a variety of onscreen exposure analysis, framing, and focus assist tools, as well as anamorphic de-squeeze. A power supply and SSD Caddy are included with the unit.
Designed with an interface that differs somewhat from prior units, the Ninja V’s HDR functions are accessed through the MON buttons and its ProRes options are chosen via the arrows on the unit’s upper left corner. The Ninja V can record to both AtomX SSDmini or standard 2.5″ SSD drives, fitting up to 150 minutes of 4K video on an 1TB drive. Separately available AtomX Ethernet/NDI and SYNC Expansion Modules enable you to output live video over IP or add wireless timecode for multicamera shoots respectively.
- With AtomHDR you can monitor up to ten stops of dynamic range of your camera’s LOG image. Most conventional monitors can only display six or seven stops, which is fine for standard footage; but a Log image will look overly flat. It is also superior to monitoring with a loaded LUT, which can clip the highlights and mask shadows.
Supported Log Formats:
- ARRI Log C
- Canon CLog / CLog 2
- Fuji F-Log
- JVC JLog
- Sony SLog2 / SLog3
- Panasonic Vlog
- RED LogFilm
- ARRI Log CEI160 / LogCEI200 / LogCEI250 / LogCEI320/ LogCEI400 / LogCEI500 / LogCEI640 / LogCEI800 / LogCEI1000 / LogCEI1280 / LogCEI1600
- Canon CLog / CLog2 / Clog3
- Fuji F-Log
- JVC JLog1
- Panasonic Vlog
- PQ10k, HLG
- RED LogFilm / Log3G10 / Log3G12
- Sony SLog / SLog2 / SLog3
- ARRI ALEXA Wide Gamut
- Canon Cinema / DCI P3 / DCI P3+ / BT2020
- Fuji F-Log
- JVC LS300
- Panasonic V Gamut
- Rec. 2100
- Rec. 709
- RED DragonColor / DragonColor2 / RedColor2 / RedColor3 / RedColor4 / RedWideGamut
- Sony SGamut / SGamut3 / SGamut3.cine / BT2020
- Wide Color Gamut (SGamut / SGamut3 / SGamut3.cine / Canon Cinema / BT2020 / DCI P3 / DCI P3+ / Panasonic V Gamut / ARRI ALEXA Wide Gamut) mapping to Rec. 709 on screen
- Wide Color Gamut (SGamut / SGamut3 / SGamut3.cine / Canon Cinema / BT2020 / DCI P3 / DCI P3+ / Panasonic V Gamut / ARRI ALEXA Wide Gamut) mapping to Rec. 709 / BT2020 / DCI P3 on loop out
4K 60p Capabilities:
- Record high-resolution 4K footage in DCI or UHD formats up to 60 fps, including 24 and 25 fps for a more film-like aesthetic. All recordings are stored as high-quality Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHR files with 10-bit 4:2:2 chroma subsampling. A variety of bit rates are available to fit your project and storage needs.
- Record to standard 2.5″ SSD drives or to compact AtomX SSDmini drives, capturing up to 150 minutes of 4K video on a 1TB drive.
- Input/output audio via HDMI or add external audio via the 3.5mm Line In/Mic In port; output audio using the 3.5mm headphone port for convenient audio monitoring.
5″ Daylight Viewable Screen:
- The Ninja V features a 5″ IPS LCD screen that is illuminated by a bright 1000 cd/m² LED backlight, making it possible to view in daylight without requiring a hood. Plus, the screen is also color calibrated from the factory to ensure accurate image representation.
HDR Signal Management:
- Log and HDR signals can be difficult to monitor with conventional equipment. Though, with the Ninja V’s built-in HDR signal management functions, the log signal can be converted to the PQ standard for compatibility with existing consumer and professional HDR equipment.
- The Ninja V supports Anamorphic de-squeeze, allowing you to comfortably view anamorphic footage with a squeeze of 2x, 1.5x, 1.33, and Panasonic’s 8:3.
- Incoming video signals can be recorded in a wide range of Apple ProRes and Avid DNx codecs which maintain high quality while not requiring the storage space of uncompressed video. Both ProRes and DNx are edit-friendly, requiring no conversion in post-production to ensure smooth playback and compatibility with most common video editing software.
Optional Expansion Modules:
- The Ninja V features a bidirectional high-speed video port along with power and audio which enables the use of the AtomX Ethernet/NDI and SYNC modules along with future module releases.