ARRI S120-C Overview
ARRI continues to literally broaden their LED line with the introduction of the wide-format SkyPanel S120-C LED Softlight. Supported by an aluminum yoke, the panel surface area measures 50.8 x 11.8″ and employs interchangeable thermoplastic diffusers that range from Lite to Heavy to soften the light and wrap its output around your subject. A Standard medium diffuser is included with the light. The SkyPanel outputs the approximate equivalent of a 2000W tungsten soft light while drawing a maximum of only 430W.
Using technology originally designed for the L7-C Fresnel, the SkyPanel S120-C is fully color tuneable, allowing output of a warm 2800K to icy blue 10,000K light and also uses the full RGB+W color gamut with hue and saturation control for fine adjustments. Full minusgreen to full plusgreen is also possible, so if you’re lighting for blue or greenscreen, you can simply dial your chosen color in. This wide degree of control is responsible for a very high CRI of 95 and a rating of 90 with the newer TLCI standard. All of these functions as well as 0-100% dimming can be adjusted locally with the SkyPanel’s onboard controller or remotely via DMX or an LAN. Besides inputs and outputs appropriate to these functions, the light also has a USB-A port for downloading firmware upgrades from a thumb drive, PC or Mac.
The SkyPanel S120-C can be used worldwide, thanks to its included 100-240 VAC power supply, but it can also use optional 23-36 VDC batteries when mains power is unavailable. Besides the power supply, the light comes with a Junior (1-1/8″) pin and a standard diffuser. This version of the light has a Manual Yoke and comes with an Edison power cord.
- Fully Tuneable, Precise Color Rendering
- Incorporating features of ARRI’s successful L-Series LED Fresnels, the SkyPanel is one of the most versatile soft lights on the market, as well as one of the brightest. Like the L-Series, SkyPanel “C” (Color) versions are fully tuneable, meaning that correlated color temperature is adjustable between 2,800K and 10,000K, with accurate color rendition over the entire range. Full plus and minus green correction can be achieved with the simple turn of a knob, and in addition to CCT control, vivid color selection and saturation adjustment is also possible. Applications for this controllability range from quickly adjusting the CCT to set the mood of a scene, to selecting the chroma green output for green screen color keying. Each LED light engine is computer calibrated in order to ensure unit-to-unit and batch-to-batch consistency, as well as accurate color temperatures
- Tremendous Output. One of the Brightest Soft Lights on the Market
- High output is usually not associated with a fully tuneable LED fixture, but with the SkyPanel ARRI has been able to accomplish both. SkyPanel has tremendous light output across the entire CCT range. Brighter than a 2000W tungsten soft light, the SkyPanel S120 has more than enough light for most applications. In some cases, the fixture can even compete with natural sunlight; at the same time, it is able to perform impressively at lower light levels
- True Soft Light Beam Quality
- Soft lights are known for their smooth quality of light and even, uniform beam field. SkyPanel’s combination of a precise selection of diffusion panels, LED mixing chamber and large surface area allow for the light output to wrap around objects, eliminating sharp shadows and making for an ideal beauty light. The beam field is homogeneous in both color and intensity
- LED White Light Without Sacrifices
- ARRI has always been at the forefront of LED white light color quality and SkyPanel lives up to this standard. Natural rendition of skin tones, accurate color reproduction and precise color temperature settings are all areas where SkyPanel excels. Whether you measure the color rendition using CRI (Color Rendering Index), CQS (Color Quality Scale) or TLCI (Television Lighting Consistency Index), SkyPanel performs impressively
- Natural Shadow Rendition
- Mixing some 2,000 calibrated red, green, blue and white LEDs into one homogeneous beam of soft light, the SkyPanel produces not just superior light quality, but excellent shadow rendering as well. The soft shadows cut cleanly without exhibiting multiple edges or color fringing
- Easy to Use
- The SkyPanel user interface is designed to be very easy to use, but also to make a wide range of controls available to the user, all at the same time. With three simple knobs, the color temperature, green/magenta point, intensity, hue and saturation can be adjusted instantly. Even people who have never used the light before find the interface effective and intuitive. In addition to the on-board controls, all functions can be remotely adjusted via DMX or LAN network connections
- Versatility Built-In
- While the SkyPanel was designed to be used primarily as a soft light to illuminate people, various built-in features make it extremely adaptable to other uses. The diffuser panels on the front of the lamp head are interchangeable, so going from the Heavy to the Lite diffusion panel can be done in a matter of seconds. The SkyPanel also makes an effective space light outputting a large downward-directed pool of color-controllable soft light through an optional silk cylinder
- Battery Mode Included.
- The SkyPanel’s low power consumption allows the fixture to be operated in many locations, using many different sources of power. With the on-board battery input, SkyPanel can easily run off industry-standard batteries. Powerful, vivid soft light need no longer be tethered to the wall or generator. The S120 can be operated at up to 50% of its total power while on battery power
- Bigger is Better
- Having a diffused light source is not enough to make a true soft light. SkyPanel also has one of the largest light apertures in its power class; this substantial area contributes significantly to the soft quality of light and wrapping of the source around a subject. When it comes to soft light aperture, bigger is usually better
- Thin Profile. Fit the SkyPanel into Tight Locations
- The SkyPanel’s thin profile permits the fixture to be used in tight locations where space is at a premium. The ability to tuck a SkyPanel right up against a wall and achieve the quantity and quality of light it produces would not be possible with a conventional fixture
- Built to Last
- Made in Germany to ARRI standards, the SkyPanel is constructed from resilient materials and assembled by hand. The combination of an aluminum core with fiberglass-reinforced thermoplastics results in a solid fixture that can withstand heavy daily use on busy film sets. The easily-serviced electronics have been designed to last beyond 50,000 hours
- Highly Controllable
- The SkyPanel user interface is designed for ease of use with a wide range of controls available to the user. Three simple knobs adjust the color temperature, green/magenta balance, light intensity and hue and saturation instantly. In addition to the on-board controls, all functions can be remotely adjusted via DMX or LAN network connections